Friday, April 9, 2010

Assignment #2: Self Portrait, Friend, and Stranger.

This is Cody. I have never spoken to him until now. I see him sitting outside of his room with his head down every night...literally. He's a guy that lives in one of the dorms in Cascade Complex, and for some reason, I always find him sitting outside him room "meditating." It wasn't until now when I questioned him on why he always does this around midnight every night. I think it's pretty interesting to find out that he does this out of random, and he doesn't seem to care what people think of him. I asked him questions like, "what are you doing here? Why is this place interesting to you? Do you not seem to care about the people walking around? Why midnight? Why does meditating do for you?" He basically said that meditating outside of his room helps him to focus on his energy and the world around him. For some people like me, this may be unusual considering people walk around the halls all of the time. Wouldn't that distract him? Not for Cody, he says the people around him don't seem to mind, and they are "a normal part of the world and reality," as he describes it. He says that he could feel the energy better when he's meditating around people. Also, meditating around midnight is a way for him to relax, and calm himself before going to sleep. It's a good way for your body to "rejuvenate" itself for the morning. This isn't something that I would normally do, but Cody has definitely got me thinking about meditating myself....however, I would meditate in room instead. I think Cody is a unique individual, and this is just a part of him that expresses who he is.



And this is a picture of Brennan and I. Check out my cool new editing techniques!! We look PIMP!!

And lastly, this is my self portrait. This is the cartoon/drawing version of myself.

And this is the original picture. Enjoy! =)

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. I think the images of the "other" are interesting in that they project a type of distance between you and them. It really gets to the whole point of how we perceive others differently than ourselves.

    ReplyDelete